Individual consultations regarding study problems, personal matters and relationship
- Office hours for individual consultations at Raiņa bulvāris 19, room 107.
- Registration for the appointment:
Tel.: (+371) 67034392
- Email consultations regarding academic issues and relationship building via email firstname.lastname@example.org
What can be expected from consultations?
The UL Student Services and Career Centre provides professional, responsible and respectful
advice regarding matters of studies, career and of psychological nature given by professional
and experienced consultants.
Study consultants provide advice regarding
- study process
- study programmes
- beginning the studies
- elective (C part) study courses
- status and opportunities of course attendee
Raiņa bulvāris 19, room 125, tel.: (+371) 67034406. Email: email@example.com
Career Centre consultants provide advice regarding
- improved awareness of interests, skills, opportunities and values
- career choice
- topical information of career issues
- support in successful planning of one's career
Raiņa bulvāris 19, room 122, tel.: (+371) 67034410. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Psychological counselling is recommended
when facing various problems that cause concern and thereby impacting studies and personal
In the process of counselling the client and the psychologist jointly resolve certain difficulties
and problems, significant questions of studies, relationships, emotions or work, mostly
focussing on the present and the future, formulating definite goals, which the client wants to
implement. The consultant can help to assess the alternatives at hand and to arrive at the
individually most appropriate solution. Consultants are committed to be objective, good
listeners, do not blame the seeker of advice and avoid making judgments.
Many people attend counselling sessions to comprehend their problems that seemingly lead
them to dead end. The consultant helps to seek clearer grasp of these problems, enabling a
choice of definite strategic actions for resolution of these problems.
Clients usually expect two things from the counselling. Firstly, to be heard out. Secondly,
support in choosing or identifying the strategic actions. When preparing to attend a
counselling session, it is beneficial to consider the most important points, thus, the
cooperation will have a good balance between hearing out and choice of future actions.
The task of the psychologist is to encourage and support the client, yet it is important to
realise that only the client him/herself can introduce the changes in his/her life and assume
responsibility thereof. The usual duration of a counselling session is 45-60 minutes and they
can be repeated.
Counselling sessions could help
- to understand oneself better
- to consider personally important matters
- to understand one's feelings
- to consider options for action
- to make choices
Could a conversation with parents and friends work just as well?
Consultant is different from family and friends.
- not involved in client's everyday life
- not critical, does not lay blame, do not have any preconceptions of client
- his the only source of information about client is the client him/herself
It is not always easy to discuss everything with family and friends, because:
- there are matters a person might not want to share
- there are concerns that the conversation might impact friendship
- reluctance to cause worries to friends
- preference to consider the issues well before broaching the subject to friends and family
- wish to talk more freely about the matters, avoiding the pressure of friends and relatives
Misconceptions about psychological counselling
- What will my friends think about it?
- I can deal with my own problems.
- This could bring me down.
- If I consult a psychologist, am I a failure?
- I don't want to be reminded how bad I am.
- This could only worsen everything.
- I am embarrassed of my problems.
- If I went to the counselling session, should it be necessary to go through all the problems?
- Nobody can understand how I feel.
- I don't want to talk to a stranger.
- Am I really doing that bad?
- If I start attending counselling, it will never end.
- I might dislike the consultant.
- I might not know what to say.
How to sign up for a counselling session?
The UL offers short-term psychological counselling, four to six sessions. These can be spread
out over a longer period of time to enable client to exercise and introduce certain changes to
The counselling session must be booked in advance to agree on time.
Raiņa bulvāris 19, room 107, tel.: (+371) 67034392. Email: email@example.com
Cancelling of counselling session
If due to any reason you cannot make it to the counselling session at the appointed time, it
would be advisable to let us know 24 hours in advance. Then a new appointment at a
different time can be made.
Who can request counselling?
UL students and staff
What are counselling costs?
UL students can receive counselling free of charge.
What happens in the first session?
The counselling session usually takes 45-50 minutes. In the first session you will discuss, how
many sessions could be needed, how often will you meet, ascertain information to create
better understanding of the present difficulties. This session may help you to discover that
more precise ascertaining of information helps yourself to:
- think clearer of the things that take place now
- stimulate thoughts to find the best way to solve uncertainties and difficulties
- remind yourself that you possess the resources and there are more resources all around you. They can be useful, so that you do not have to solve the difficulties alone
In compliance with the Code of Ethics for psychologists, a full client confidentiality is
guaranteed, with a sole exception of the cases which may pose threat to client him/herself or
those around him/her.
Successful studies at the university depend on many factors: personality of student,motivation behind the choice of studies, previously mastered study skills, experienced socialsupport and sense of belonging to the social environment of university, as well as materialsituation.Every student at times asks him/herself, how to improve the study work, to achieve greatersuccess, more profound knowledge and use the time at the university to the best advantage.Study Services Department offers recommendations regarding academic work, relationships,personal matters that have a great impact on individual&'s welfare and thus, also studies. Therecommendations are provided concerning many useful and relevant topics – beginning ofthe studies, daily life and recommended actions for effective studies, cooperation withmentors, family support, effective study habits, time planning and development ofmotivation, countering fear of failure, reasons for procrastination and countering them,setting goals, study skills, personality's resources and risks.