International Economics and Commercial Diplomacy
International Economics and Commercial Diplomacy is a unique multidisciplinary study programme which not only aims to provide students with extensive knowledge regarding international economics and business but also regarding legislation, politics and foreign languages. The study programme develops the necessary teamwork and presentation skills, capacity to understand and analyse macroeconomic and microeconomic tendencies, as well as practical skills in coordinating work among various institutions and managing organizations. Studies are in English.
- 1st year – start-up, mathematics for economists, political science, international organizations and economics globalization, population and development, microeconomics, integrated marketing communications, etc.;
- 2nd year – macroeconomics, theory of management, international economics, econometrics, international law, French, etc.;
- 3rd year – theory of accounting, economic anthropology, private international law, introduction to international politics, economy of the Baltic states, comparative analysis of world’s regions, etc.;
- 4th year – commercial diplomacy, international political economy, international capital flow, international monetary economics, international trade models, internship/practicum, bachelor thesis.
During the studies, academic knowledge is supplemented with practical knowledge via practicums and internships. During practicums and internships students are able to utilize their theoretical knowledge in real-life situations, thus gaining invaluable experience. Students obtain this experience in both private and government institutions such as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Investment and Development Agency of Latvia.
Students can take part in practicums and internships both in Latvia and abroad via Erasmus+ exchange programme.
Graduates have the necessary skills to work in a variety of positions in Latvian and EU institutions, international organizations, and businesses. Many known graduates are currently working at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Economics, the Investment and Development Agency of Latvia and other government institutions.
Other graduates choose to start businesses themselves or to work in the private sector. Graduates are eligible to study in master’s programmes both in Latvia and abroad.
4 years – studies during working days.
EU, EEA, Swiss citizens, permanent residence permit holders and their family members full-time studies – 2800 € per year. Other country citizens – 3080 € per year.
Bachelor of Social Sciences in International Economics
For applicants, who have completed the secondary education in Latvia:
Centralized school-leaving examination in Mathematics and English.
For applicants, who have completed the secondary education before the year 2004, or persons with special needs – yearly grade in Mathematics and in English.
For applicants, who have completed the secondary education abroad:
- General secondary / high school diploma;
- You must present results of one of the internationally recognized English language tests or a minimum grade 6 (almost good) in a 10 point grading system in English in the general secondary education diploma, if English is not your native language and/or your previous education has not been obtained in English;
- Grades in Mathematics must be no less than 4 in a 10 point grading system.
- Skype interview which includes questions about motivation.